Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happy International Women`s Day!

Dress- Joe Fresh (Swapped); Denim Jacket & Belt- Thrifted; Boots- Aldo; Necklace- Sears; Ring- H&M; Nail Polish- Gilty Pleasure by Sally Hansen & Gold Digger by Aldo


"The fastest way to change society is to mobilize the women of the world." (Charles Malik)

Happy International Women's Day-time to reflect on all the female accomplishments across the world, throughout history and in our own lives. The influential women in my life include my Mum, my sister, my professional mentor and my girlfriends.  They all bring a piece of feminine enlightenment and empowerment to our world, in their own unique way.
I've worked with various feminist organizations in differing capacities including City for All Women InitiativeOttawa Coalition to End Violence Against Womenand currently Ottawa Victim Services & Dress for Success.  In my experiences women have displayed great strength, resilience, perseverance and even humour when faced with hardships.  The most important lesson I've learned is that women are fighters, they won't stop until equality for women has been established across societies, institutions and belief systems worldwide. 


"Well behaved women seldom make history."(Laurel Ulrich)

22 comments:

  1. I love the chain look of the necklaces and the belt.
    To celebrate International Women's day, we had a little girl time at work. All the boys took off for lunch, so us girls (who usually eat our food at our desks) took a few minutes to catch up, vent and encourage each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the draping on this dress! Your belt it so fab, too. I had no idea it was International Women's Day today, but I should have guessed because Kate Spade's Women for Women collection is on Gilt today... I'll make a note of Women's Day for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy International Women's Day to you too, Emily! I love the dress you're wearing and all your gorgeous and shiny accessories!

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to be a very un-"well behaved woman." It's more satisfying that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what empowering organizations you've worked for! that makes me smile. emily your outfit is both professional, & cool enough to go out in after work. it's one of my faves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute outfit, love the chain belt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy International Women's Day to you too! I am inspired by the work that you do. I love the style of this dress. Great Swap!

    Rhe
    rhestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like what you're wearing - very classy! and at the same time those accessories (especially that ring) add some fun to it as well. I guess you always know how to combine ;)

    Maiken/
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress is so cute - and I'm lovin' all your accessories, especially that necklace :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic outfit and inspiring thoughts for international women's day! I love Margaret Thatcher's quote "if you want something done, ask a woman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy international women's day to you!

    I've been noticing a trend of a lot of bloggers painting all of their fingers one colour and then the ring finger they change it up! I love it!

    and I love the gold colour. I think I'll be splurging on some nail polish before I head to Boston....the joe fresh dress is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this neutral color palette you have going on today. It's perfect to layer that metal chains against. I love International Women's Day, and it sounds like you have definitely done your part! I love the quote from Laurel Ulrich: "Well behaved women seldom make history." It's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE heart love those fingernails, lady! Look cute with your necklace.

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this dress. I didn't really do anything for 'women's day' except you know... be awesome at being a woman ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that dress, girl! And your necklace is soo pretty :)

    xo,
    Hannah
    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the draping and the colour of the dress - you look fabulous!
    I don't know how you find the time to do all the volunteering that you do, and still look so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are an inspiration. A lovely lady indeed!

    xo,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that look! The whole thing just looks terrific together; I can't pick just one part I love most. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful posts and very nice blog! Congrats on your work!
    Perhaps you'd like to follow each other?:)
    xoxo,
    Fashionhypnotised girl

    ReplyDelete

One of my daily joys is reading the lovely comments you leave. It may take a day or two (or three, depending on how hectic life gets!) but I will stop by your slice of the blogosphere soon! xo Emily