Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wear Purple to Remember



Today, October 20th, 2010 is Wear Purple Day/Spirit Day to remember the GLBTTQQ (gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, trans, two-spirited, queer and questioning) teenagers who took their own lives due to homophobic bullying.  The colour purple represents Spirit on the GLBTTQQ flag. 

As a Social Worker, I have worked with many clients who identify as GLBTTQQ and the fact that these teens were teased to the point of committing suicide is very upsetting. RIP Tyler Clementi, Seth Walsh, Justin Aaberg, Raymond Chase, Asher Brown and Billy Lucas. 

So I did what any altruistic fashionista would do- I wore purple.






Outfit:
Purple Dress & Black Belt- Smart Set
Tattoo Tights- Betsey Johnson (way more vibrant in person)
Purple Graffiti Bag- Louis Vuitton
Nude Pumps- Aldo

3 comments:

  1. i have a few things to say here:
    1. Perfect post.
    2. Rad tights
    3. Social worker? cool!
    4. Thanks for your last comments and
    5. Yes! nutella

    x
    daretounravel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am more of a feeble fashionista than a fierce one, but I have to commend and add my support to your strength of feeling against the verbal and physical torture that is called "bullying" that people endure. The extent to which this happens in schools belies belief, one child proudly told me that he had "teased" people because they had braces. Imagine his dilemma when he was fitted with those very same devices the next week! Bullying needs discussion, people need to say something when they see bullying occuring, and I, too will wear purple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother of God (The Fashion God that is!) you look freakin' fantastic! A stylish social worker, I'm all for that and I'm all for wearing purple for a great cause.

    Plus, I've got lots of friends who proudly waves the rainbow flag!

    See you at OFW?

    xox,

    ML

    ReplyDelete

One of my daily joys is reading the lovely comments you leave. It may take a day or two (or three, depending on how hectic life gets!) but I will stop by your slice of the blogosphere soon! xo Emily