Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Volunteering in Style

Dress for Success is an amazing organization that combines my two passions of helping others and fashion.  Dress for Success was founded in NYC in 1999 and is a non-for-profit that provides disadvantaged women with business suits and employment assistance.  In 2010, Dress for Success was finally implemented in Ottawa, Canada, thanks to the hard work of seven local women.  I love clothing and volunteering so I thought- why not put my passion to a good use and volunteer? So a couple of weeks ago I interviewed for the position of Wardrobe Consultant and with my Team Leader experience they suggested that I be one of the Boutique Managers!!! So I am super excited to start volunteering with Dress for Success- I am just waiting for my police record check (fingers crossed!)


Last week, I dragged my fashionable friend Alanna along to a Bijou and Books event that Chapters Pinecrest was holding to raise money for Dress for Success Ottawa (10% of all proceeds) and to collect gently used purses, jewellery and accessories for the boutique.  The event was a success- I ran into one of my Social Worker mentors and I met the keynote speaker from Northern Lights- a free employment services agency.  Of course the cupcakes were fabulous- provided by 5 Cupcakes -a gluten free bakery that sells their (delicious!) cupcakes at the Farmers Market in Ottawa.

Bijou and Books event

5 Cupcakes gluten free treats

My outift: Dress:Smart Set; Blazer: The Gap: Owl Necklace- Aunt Olive's Vintage & Earrings-Roadtrip

Another organization that I have recently became involved in is Habitat for Humanity- a volunteer driven non-for-profit that builds affordable homes and sells them to low-income working families.  I didn't think that they would want me wielding a hammer so I reserached their events and voila- right up my alley- the Steel Toes and Stilletos gala being held at the Westin Ottawa on Friday October 15th.  I will be helping out on the logistical event planning side as well as assisting the fashion models with any last minute preparation.  I am really looking forward to this event (especially as I get to flounce around in a cocktail dress!) and I will be sure to take plenty of pictures and post them after the event!

Steel-toed stilettos


No matter where you live or what your skills are, you can always find time to volunteer in style!

5 comments:

  1. I'm soo glad that Dress for Success is finally here in the city! I've looked into this organizations a couple times in the past and was disappointed it wasn't here.


    besos,

    Win a Banana Republic Statement Necklace at:

    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great organization! I'm glad you blogged about it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like wonderful events for an amazing cause! Thanks for stopping by today!

    xo,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more with miss marilou! When I heard that dress for success was (finally) being introduced to Ottawa i was so happy! I think the women in this city would really benefit from this incredible organization. Good for you for gtting involved!
    Do you know if they are still looking for volunteers?

    daretounravel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that they are still looking for volunteers- I would e-mail them at volunteer@dressforsuccessottawa.ca

    It's a great opportunity for networking as well (who knows- we could meet more Ottawa based fashion bloggers!)

    ReplyDelete

One of my daily joys is reading the lovely comments you leave. It may take a day or two (or three, depending on how hectic life gets!) but I will stop by your slice of the blogosphere soon! xo Emily